follow me, yo.

Follow Skylahnite on Twitter

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

I heart my nephew

So last weekend was interesting for me. Friday night my nephew, Charles Roger Ball III a.k.a. "The Boy", called me as I was leaving work to say goodbye. I cried the whole way home. This is his 2nd deployment to Afghanistan. He is an Infantry Mortar man in the United States Marine Corp.


We've got closer since he's been in the Marines. Not because of that but because I think we're closer in age now. I mean, we've always been 3 years apart but there's a difference between 23 and 26 and 26 and 29. I kinda feel like we're on the same level now. The first time he deployed I was worried but I wasn't this worried.
Saturday I was on my way to go fishing with my brother, his dad, and everything was perfect. I was driving with the windows rolled down blasting Mumford and Sons, not a cloud in the sky and a perfect 80 degrees. One second I felt grateful then the next I felt guilty. It's a weird two feelings to have at the same time. I felt guilty that while I was enjoying that perfect day, my nephew is eating MREs, not showering for weeks at a time, missing his family and friends, and putting his life on the line. Then I felt grateful again. That because of him and everyone else that serves in the military I am able to drive with the windows rolled down blaring music and can pretty much do whatever the hell I want.
My brother talked to me about where he was going and what he would be doing and it made me even more worried.
Sunday sucked. I wasn't on the water anymore so I actually had time to think about it. I didn't even want to be in Orlando. I just wanted to run away somewhere else and get my mind off it. I woke up in the middle of the night last night and couldn't go back to sleep because I couldn't stop thinking about him.
So I guess all I really have to say is thank you Charlie and I love you. I can't wait for you to be home safe.

1 comment:

  1. This is exactly what runs through my mind when I meet anyone in the US forces. It's crazy how quickly I can feel guilty, worried, grateful, and guilty all back to back.

    The difference is that I'm not related to anyone over there and you are, which must compound all those feelings by infinite amounts.

    But! He's so awesome and hopefully this will be his last, right?! So fingers crossed that the time flies and all the good energy I have goes out his way for safe-keeping!

    ReplyDelete