follow me, yo.

Follow Skylahnite on Twitter

Sunday, April 21, 2013

My slightly healthier version of Whole Food's Sinful Smoked Gouda Pasta Salad

I tried this stuff a couple weeks back at Whole Foods and it was freakin good. But Whole Foods is far and this shit is $7.99 a pound and about 400 calories per serving. So I decided to make my own which is far less expensive and about 260 calories per serving.
FYI I don't measure. So these measurements are guesstimates. Oh and I threw in some sautéed zucchini because I needed to use it before it went bad. It's not in Whole Foods's version but after tasting mine, I actually prefer it.

1/2 pound of cooked whole wheat pasta, I used rotini
3/4 cup light mayo
3 tbsp white vinegar
1/2 cup 1% milk
1 tbsp adobo sauce (the sauce that comes in the chipotle pepper can)
1/2 cup cubed smoked Gouda
1 tomato seeded and chopped
1/2 a zucchini cut in cubes
1/4 cup quartered artichoke hearts
1 tsp dried, chopped basil
1/2 tbsp salt
1/2 tbsp pepper
1 tsp ground red pepper
1/2 tsp granulated garlic

Reminders: taste everything as you go and season as needed. Salt the pasta water.

While the pasta was cooking, I sautéed the zucchini in a little olive oil with s&p and the garlic powder. Just long enough to brown it a little. Probably 4 to 5 minutes. While the zucchini was sautéing I made the dressing for the salad in a big bowl. Put the mayo, vinegar, milk, adobo sauce, ground red pepper and s&p in the bowl and whisk until smooth. Strain the pasta, throw in the bowl with the dressing, throw in the zucchini, tomato, and artichoke. Set aside a cube or two of the Gouda and finely grate it into the bowl. Add the remaining cubes of Gouda and toss until everything is coated.


No comments:

Post a Comment